The locked drag is accounting for some of this & yes, users can exit with a
single tap when dragging something.
 (though in the past I believe most users of the typical single finger
touchpads would just simply hold button one for extended drags

What it,  lthe ocked drag being enabled, isn't accounting for is the constant
'locked highlighting' in browsers & text files ala the 2nd video
. In this case a double tap, (2 taps, 1 finger) is needed to exit or wait for
the time out
At least here on a small touchpad, 1.5X2 inches, this is occurring constantly.
Is it now the position that I & many other users have to either put up with it,
2 tap out, & or retrain our use of touchpads? Again on small touchpads an
inadvertent single finger 2 tap is common

Additionally this change or changes are now causing these periods of
loss of any left click function, in these cases a wait out is needed.
I've not yet found how to reproduce that other then it's definitely
caused by an inadvertent 2  or maybe 3 tap, single finger. (with 2 & 3
single finger tap disabled here it has never re-occured

I'm not sure to whose benefit these changes are being made for, likely not the
majority at this point & it would seem better to provide them thru non -default
options.
I guarantee if left as is the complaints & user confusion will certainly
increase

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-synaptics in Ubuntu.

  Inadvertant mouse movement & click is causing cursor to stick on left
  click