So we have two endpoints:

last known good: 2.6.33.20
first bad: 2.6.34.1

The next step is download the source for both of those into a single git
tree (which should be available from Ubuntu) and recompile both checking
that we can reproduce the issue when manually compiling the kernel
package.

Having verified that we can recompile and reproduce the issue at will,
we start a "git bisection" to find the offending commit. Something like:

$ cd /usr/src/linux
$ git bisect good v2.6.33.20 # or whatever the git commit id that corresponds
to the Ubuntu kernel is, it should have a tag...
$ git bisect bad v2.6.34.1
# git will now pick a point between those two and give you a kernel tree to
compile
$ make kernel-pkg
# install and test and say either
$ git bisect good # if the driver loads
$ git bisect bad # if vesa is loaded instead
# rebuild, reinstall, retest until git pronounces the winner

Despite the large number of patches that go into each release, due to
the nature of bisection you will only need about 20 recompiles at most,
so it is not quite as time consuming as it may first appear! ;-)

  Natty&Oneiric - intel 82945G/GZ graphics card - Intel driver fails