This is not just an ubuntu issue:

http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/applications/455885-opensuse-11-4-freezes-every-10-seconds-so.html
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-bugs/2011-03/msg03309.html

Guys there complain about the exact same issue but they have EDID errors
in their logs popping up at the same time as the freeze. I don't see
those logs. Does that log somewhere else other than syslog?

Please could this be urgently logged upstream. Nouveau bug logging
procedure says the distro must log the bug.

I am happy to supply any info and do tests.

THANKS!

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-nouveau in Ubuntu.

  continuous jerky mouse movements while using nouveau driver in 12.04