The wine wiki has this tidbit:

"On 12.04, which now has multiarch support, things are trickier: sudo
apt-get build-dep wine1.4:i386. Doing this may very well remove your
ability to build 64-bit programs."

This doesn't work (the sources for wine1.4:i386 aren't found even if I
add the PPA they suggest), but the hint for me at least is that you need
libglu1-mesa-dev:i386, meaning you can't have libglu1-mesa-dev
installed.

So I manually removed libglu1-mesa-dev and then installed libglu1-mesa-
dev:i386 and now I can build wine. Of course libglu1-mesa-dev:i386
doesn't appear in the repos so I have to download the deb file manually.

ie there is a workaround, but it's a huge pain having to do this.

Why does libglu1-mesa-dev:i386 conflict with libglu1-mesa-dev:amd64?
Isn't the whole idea behind going multiarch to let you install both the
32 bit and 64 bit packages side by side to make things easier?

which is subscribed to mesa in Ubuntu.

  Cannot build wine with GLU support on Precise amd64