I'm experiencing the same issue as mentioned as in several comments,
specifically #13, #14, #39, that is using gnome-shell on 11.10; I
especially get a freeze of the shell when scrolling (w/ mouse wheel or
by pressing middle button and dragging the document) through a PDF in
evince, but I also got it once in firefox. I can go to a VT and usually
I restart the lightdm service to get back to my desktop. I am now on the
v3.3-rc6-precise kernel and I could still reproduce the freeze by
grabbing a PDF document in evince with the middle mouse button and then
shifting it around like a maniac.

Some other remarks:
. My laptop has an ATI Mobility Radeon X2300 (ATI was also mentioned earlier in
this report so I wonder why only intel drivers have been tagged here).
. I really don't see how this is a duplicate of #808384, it seems like a
completely different issue, except that there's an error message in kern.log:
[drm:drm_mode_getfb] *ERROR* invalid framebuffer id. This error sometimes, not
always, occurs in kern.log right after a freeze.

  unity freezing periodicly [drm:drm_mode_getfb] *ERROR* invalid
  framebuffer id