Thanks Robert for the qick reply!  Is this a can't fix/won't fix
situation then?  I remember reading on phoronix (
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OTg0Mg ) that large
chunks of code were being deleted, is this the case with r200?  Or is it
possible for the user just to tweak some setting and recompile?

A follow up article on phoronix (
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTAxMDE ) mentions
the possibility of a mesa-old-dri-drivers package.  Do you know if this
is going to be implemented?  I can't find it, but I'm generally rubbish
at finding packages!  It would be a nicer workaround than downloading
the 7.11 versions directly from launchpad.

which is subscribed to mesa in Ubuntu.

  UMS dri support missing for r200