Public bug reported:

When using an external monitor on my laptop in twinview mode, nvidia-
settings routinely forgets the 'primary display' setting. My laptop's
screen is 1440x900, and I want it to be the primary display. My external
display is 1280x1024, and I don't want it to be set as the primary
display (n.b. it's not clear that the primary display setting actually
does anything useful from the user's point of view).

To reproduce:
1) Boot with no external display attached
2) Plug in an external display
3) Launch nvidia-settings; detect displays and use the 'Configuration' popup to
enable the external display in twinview mode. Ensure that the checkbox, "Make
this the primary display for the X screen" is checked for the internal display
and not the external display
4) Press 'Apply' in nvidia-settings. The external display should now be enabled
5) Quit nvidia-settings
6) Relaunch nvidia-settings and navigate to the "X Server Display
Configuration" section

Expected results:
The laptop's internal display is set as the primary display for the X screen

Actual results:
The external display is set as the primary display for the X screen. This is
reliably reproducible on my system.

If you set the internal display to be the primary again (after step 6)
and quit/relaunch nvidia-settings, the primary display setting is
retained properly. It only seems to be broken the first time you launch
nvidia-settings after adding an external display.

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.04
Package: nvidia-settings 295.20-0ubuntu1
Uname: Linux 3.2.0-10-generic x86_64
NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
ApportVersion: 1.94.1-0ubuntu1
Architecture: amd64
Date: Thu Mar  8 14:24:54 2012
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat" - Beta amd64 (20100901.1)
ProcEnviron:
 TERM=xterm
 PATH=(custom, user)
 LANG=en_US.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
SourcePackage: nvidia-settings
UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to precise on 2012-02-13 (23 days ago)

** Affects: nvidia-settings (Ubuntu)

** Tags: amd64 apport-bug precise

which is subscribed to nvidia-settings in Ubuntu.

  nvidia-settings forgets primary display setting