After using emacs for a while (sometimes hours, sometimes days) the text
in them will go garbled, and the cursor disappears.  xfce4-terminals
also sometimes change their coloring while they're running.  Restarting
the terminal or emacs doesn't help, but restarting X does.  I'm using
xrandr on the command line to do dual displays.  Yeah, this is kind of a
crappy bug report but I'm not sure how to describe what I'm seeing in
terms that Google understands.  I'm plenty happy to help troubleshoot.

This is a 11.10 server (upgraded from 11.04 original install) with the
xubuntu packages added later which I now use as my desktop. Video is
onboard on an ASUS P8H67-M EVO: lspci shows 00:02.0 VGA compatible
controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family
Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09).

See attached screenshot of emacs showing garbled text.

Not as severe/pervasive as in https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source
/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/667737

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.10
Package: xorg 1:7.6+7ubuntu7.1
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.0.0-16.29-server 3.0.20
Uname: Linux 3.0.0-16-server x86_64
ApportVersion: 1.23-0ubuntu4
Architecture: amd64
Date: Wed Mar 14 18:51:45 2012
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu-Server 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" - Release amd64
(20110426)
ProcEnviron:
 PATH=(custom, user)
 LANG=en_US.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
SourcePackage: xorg
Symptom: display
UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to oneiric on 2012-02-05 (38 days ago)

** Affects: xorg (Ubuntu)

** Tags: amd64 apport-bug corruption oneiric
--
garbled text in emacs and odd colors in xfce4-terminal after being logged in
for a while