Oh wait, I just discovered these lines in the UnitySupportTest.txt

Error: command ['/usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test', '-p', '-f'] failed with exit
code 1: OpenGL vendor string:   VMware, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x300)
OpenGL version string:  2.1 Mesa 8.0.1

Not software rendered:    [31;01mno[00m
Unity 3D supported:       [31;01mno[00m

First line explains a lot. The command exited with an error because the
last line says Unity 3D isn't supported. It's intended. Ignoring that
part of the line, I find it really surprising that the vendor string is
VMWare. Are you running Ubuntu in VBox/VMWare Player or something?

Second, AFAIK gallium based drivers are known to have issues like these.
Can someone from X-SWAT clarify?

Third, "Not Software Rendered" says no. That means software rendering is
being used. That said, I find it really really surprising how Compiz AND
gnome-session allowed you to log into Unity 3D. GNOME-Session usually
runs the unity-support-test utility, and if it returns an error (like it
appears in your case), it tries to boot Unity 2D. That check step
apparently didn't work in your case. Even after that, if Compiz ever
fails to load the composite plugin or fails to start OpenGL, it falls
back to Unity 2D.

For some reason, both these measures didn't avoid you from booting into
Unity 3D.

I have these questions from you:
1) Are you running Ubuntu in a VM?
2) Did Unity 3D run fine with fglrx?
3) Try rebooting. Do you get a fallback Unity 2D session? If not, does running
unity --reset help?

which is subscribed to the bug report.

  Screen corruption on AMD with Radeon driver