Ah, turns out the problem is more subtle.

I'm reproducing the corruption on both systems, with basically any
arrangement of the RAM modules, however one module reliably fails during
boot or immediately after session start if it's installed in any
combination with the other 3 modules.  The other modules will also fail,
but usually only at run time after some period.  The systems also reset
themselves once they've locked up.

I've doublechecked the ram tech specs against the motherboard's requirements
and there is no discrepancies.  The ram isn't on the qualified list for the
motherboard, but it's the same brand (kingston)
as one that was tested.  So hardware incompatibility seems unlikely.

The ram sticks were taken from another system (which never had memory
related faults).  So, while the ram is old, it does not have a history
of faulty behavior.  memtest86 passes and thinks the ram is fine.  I
don't have reason to believe it's bad hardware.

Clocking the memory from "10:DDR3 1333 MHz" to "8:DDR3 1067 MHz" in BIOS
appears to resolve the issue.  At least, I've been running both boxes
for a good hour or so with no faults.  I'm going to leave them like this
to see if they stay up.

  Intel DH67GD board w/ i5-2405S cpu fails to boot with rc6 enabled