I got the 180 (?) drivers to work. This is haw I did it (in desperation)
I used synaptic and removed anything I could find under a search for
nvidia. On reboot I had nothing in hardware drivers (said no drivers in
use). I then used the synaptic to install the 190 drivers, I am not sure
why they did not show up after adding the launchpad ppa file source? on
reboot I still hand nothing in hardware drives and could nor invoke
them. I then added the nividia-common and rebooted. I am not sure if I
needed to reboot all these times, but it is a knee jerk reaction from
being slaved by windows. any way I was able run hardware divers (still
blank) and it started to download drivers. I used the 180 at the top of
the list and rebooted. Viola it worked. I still have the 190 drivers in
synaptic, but they are not a selection in hardware drivers? Not to beet
a dead horse but I had no problems before the last big update (120 I
think).

--
no nvidia video desktop since update kernel and packages
which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-180 in ubuntu.