Hi,

Thanks to Bryce and Robert for having a look at this bug.

I tried installing 10.04.4 and the 2.6.32-40 kernel from proposed only
(no other updates). The GUI starts up just fine.

I then did a dist-upgrade to apply all the other updates, and it
continued to work fine!

SO I then went back and redid the whole process that resulted in the
faulty system initially (installing from our usual preseed, which does
the base install and then dist-upgrades in the late command). And again,
the system booted into the GUI without problems!

So I guess we can chalk this up to an installation fluke that resulted
in a non-working system.

I'll mark as invalid for now, but if you still need me to provide
information about the system and/or packages, please feel free to ask.
This system lives for testing so I can run anything on it.

Thanks again and sorry for taking up your time!

** Changed in: xorg (Ubuntu)

  [HP Probook 6550b] Fails to start graphical environment