Hi, Bryce
I can't speak english very well, that's why it is difficult to me to explain
some things correctly

After switching on the netbook and booting ubuntu, I reduced the screen
brightness to minimum. After the second reboot the netbook have retained
fixed brightness as I have set before the second reboot. Now the
operating system considers that the new reduced level of brightness is a
maximum level, and ubuntu does not allow to increase the brightness to
the origin high level. After restarting the netbook by switching it off
and on the fault disappears.

  brightness not work correctly on eee pc