The problems I had with the 295.20 and Gnome SHell were resolved with
the 295.33 update. The NVIDIA Linux forum presently contains only two
bug reports, one about an error in the driver installation script, which
probably doesn't concern us because we install the drivers using a
package manager, and the other one is about X crashes on a Clevo
M571RU-U notebook (with Ubuntu 11.10). Someone should probably do an
extensive testing of 295.33 with Compiz.

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  [x-updates] Nvidia 295.20 regression - Gnome Shell becomes crashy