I would like to "reopen" this bug because it does seem that it is not a
question of UMS support for dri on r200 or r300.

I'm on PP beta 2 on i386, I've  compiled and installed mesa 7.11 and
7.10 and the problem remains. Didn t notice before as I didn t need to
disable modesetting. I'm investigating by compiling different options
and it seems somehow linked to the radeondrmfb which seems to do more
than framebuffering.

Anyhow it seems off that UMS support for relatively recent cards would
be dropped, i've googled a bit and didn t find any metion of this, just
the dropping of older cards. And x700 (rv410) were quite pouplar just a
few years ago.

Should I file a different bug for r300/r400 ?

which is subscribed to mesa in Ubuntu.

  UMS dri support missing for r200