Hmm, I doubt this is actually a bug in libx11.

The bug is an assertion, so something is definitely wrong.  This is the
assertion that's failing:

XID _XAllocID(Display *dpy)
{
        XID ret = dpy->xcb->next_xid;
        assert (ret != inval_id);  /* FAIL */

So we know there's bad data in the Display structure.

_XAllocID is being called by XCreatePixmap(), which looks like this:

Pixmap XCreatePixmap (
    register Display *dpy,
    ...)
{
    LockDisplay(dpy);
    pid = req->pid = XAllocID(dpy);
    UnlockDisplay(dpy);

LockDisplay doesn't appear to tinker with anything in the dpy->xcb part
of the structure, so we can ignore that.

XCreatePixmap is called from cairo, so we're outside libx11 at that
point.

Doesn't answer the question of where the inval_id came from to begin
with though...

** Also affects: cairo (Ubuntu)

which is subscribed to libx11 in Ubuntu.

  indicator-applet-complete crashed with SIGABRT in __assert_fail_base()