Public bug reported:

I'm filing this as hopefully a generic/master bug (if any one knows of
another please add).

I've got two entirely distinct set ups that won't do the 1366x768 that the
monitor/display is capable of over VGA;
I suspect this is related to the discussion here:

http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/8705.html

which describes how EDID can't represent 1366 pixels wide.

The two setups I have are:
  11.10 with a modern Intel graphics integrated VGA (on chip) to a Panasonic TV
via VGA, it's native res is 1366x768
  12.04 with an ancient Geforce 2 (NV11) to a new Samsung B1930N monitor, again
native res of 1366x768 (with Nouveau drivers)

I think the best the 11.10 managed with the panasonic was 800x600 out of
the box, and the best that 12.04 managed with the Samsung was 1024x768.
In both cases there are no options in the Gnome display settings to get
it closer.

Unfortunately the work around is non-trivial; you have to add a modeline with
xrandr - and I've not managed to find a modeline
that works for both; so it's a lot of fiddling.

Given 1366x768 displays aren't uncommon I think there needs to be
something to help people with this; I'm not sure what the right answer
is though!

There are a whole chunk of bugs with notebooks with this resolution on
internal displays - and I'm not sure if that's the same or a separate
issue.

** Affects: xorg (Ubuntu)

  1366x768 over VGA generic problems