After bypassing the test error, I've built xserver debs, installed, and
booted on the following:

1.  dell mini V.  Intel 945 w/ touchpad
    + OK

2.  fujitsu t4410.  Intel 965 w/ touchscreen
    + Crashed with SIGABRT in raise()
    + Booted OK
    + Apport caught the abort and generated a .crash
    + I didn't notice any crashing behavior myself

3.  Dell latitude 13.  Arrandale, external monitor attached
    + OK

4.  Desktop.  Sandybridge on KVM
    + OK

5.  Desktop.  NVIDIA G92 with proprietary -nvidia driver loaded
    + OK

6.  Desktop.  ATI Radeon RV730XT with -radeon driver loaded
    + OK

As we've been getting random SIGABRTs reported in ubuntu, I'm not going
to call that a regression, although I don't recall seeing it on that
particular laptop previously.  I'll investigate that further, as a
distinct unrelated bug.  (At least, it dashes hopes that this bug
report's patch would eliminate all the SIGABRT bugs...)

So, going to give the patch an OK on basic boot test.

  Logging from signal context is unsafe