Im running into a very similar issue. Im trying to use Wine to play any
of these games:

- Left 4 Dead 2 (this game I somehow managed to run once)
- Mass effect 2
- Mass effect 3
- Fifa 12

All of these games start and "run" with the open source drivers. The
performance of the open source drivers is not good enough. After installing the
ATI propriety drivers (I tried the range 11.12 - 12.3) the games crash on start
up and have to be killed. Some games manage to run the intro e.g.
- Left 4 Dead 2 shows the menu and crashes during loading
- Mass effect 2/3 crashes on start up
- Fifa 12 crashes after the language selection dialog.

It seems something goes wrong with the ati driver and wine. Could you
please tell me which logs should be appeneded?

Note: Im running this on 12.4 Kubuntu.

which is subscribed to fglrx-installer in Ubuntu.

  [6480g A4 APU] Display Shuts off when running any fullscreen game in
  wine.