Hi Matthew,

Dang, that sounds really annoying.

I've reviewed the log files you attached, but none show indications of
server crashes or GPU freezes, that would indicate an X.org bug.

Thanks for the link to UF but we don't review forum discussions due to
time constraints; if there's anything pertinent from those threads
please re-summarize here for is.

The lightdm termination message is normal.  lightdm terminates when it
hands control over to the user session.

The failsafe-x termination likewise is probably innocuous.

The eclipse segfault in libgdk-x11 looks interesting; I don't know what
that is.  If that is always present when you see this bug, it may be a
very strong clue.

In general, high Xorg CPU is usually caused not by X but by a client
program or service, that is out of control and simply making too many X
requests (X does not throttle clients).

You've ruled out display managers, which is a good start.  When you
booted into Gnome classic, was that with or without effects?  If it was
with effects, try without, as that will rule out compiz as the culprit.

Try booting into a guest session; that will help indicate if the problem
is something in your user settings.

Try booting a beta1 or beta2 liveUSB image.  If the problem reproduces
on that, then that rules out something you've installed.  If it doesn't
reproduce, check if you've installed any services or secondary tools
that could be causing it.

The typical procedure for debugging high X cpu issues is to ssh into the
sick machine and start killing processes.  Given the eclipse crash in
libgdk-x11, I'd look for any remaining eclipse processes or anything
related to gdk-x11; this could include gnome services for instance.  The
program 'xrestop' might give some ideas for other apps to try killing
(it reports resource memory usage, not processor usage, so your
perpetrator may not necessarily show up there at all.)

** Package changed: xorg (Ubuntu) => nvidia-graphics-drivers (Ubuntu)

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  Periodic lockups or crashes