I was hit by this bug as well, and did some digging around. It seems
like the middle-click-to-scroll functionality on thinkpad keyboards is
now enabled by default. To fix this (rather, to get back the old
behavior), edit the file "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/11-evdev-
trackpoint.conf", and change the Option "EmulateWheel" to "false".
Restart X and you should now be able to resize windows with alt-middle-
click just fine! xev also reports the correct events after I made this
change.

There's plenty more information on this page, for thinkpad keyboard
users: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_configure_the_TrackPoint

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-synaptics in Ubuntu.

  some mouse events are lost