HAHAHAHA!  It works, oh gods it works!  Thank you both Chris and Marc!
My first reboot I had to manually restart lightdm, but that's a small
price to pay to actually SEE my whole desktop at > 1024x600 all at once
without pointless panning, especially if I happen to load up a game that
uses the screen edges for scrolling, and needs to be 1024x768.  Oh HAPPY
DAYS!  I think the one problem I had with lightdm not loading all the
way the first time is more to do with me being on Oneiric, and having to
do some impromptu hacky pulling down of libx11 and libc6 from Precise,
but again, even if I end up having to reload lightdm manually every time
I reboot (time will tell), it's a small price to pay for scaling to work
correctly again.  Thank you so much!

  xrandr --scale restricts area in which mouse moves