> Thanks, Chris.  That's what 'bisect' means! :)
>
> Can you or anyone tell me how to 'download the source for both of those into a
> single git tree and recompile both'?  I am willing to help further, but I
> don't
> have time to spend hours or days working out how to do this by myself - please
> do not just point me to a tutorial.
You just need to grab Linus's git tree, all versions are there. So you should
run:
git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git

You can see the tags corresponding to versions here:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git;a=tags

Good luck! ;-)

  Natty&Oneiric - intel 82945G/GZ graphics card - Intel driver fails