Regarding Martin's post #62:

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, as I'm new around here -- you say
there's a _hardware_ limitation with the i915/i945 cards and DRI at
>2048.  Why is it that WinXP can run DX9 quite satisfactorily on the
same hardware?  I'm running 2 monitors, 1900x1200 & 1600x1200, and
playing around with dual-booting XP and Mint7.  My XP extended desktop
at 3520x1200 works beautifully.  But when I boot up Mint7, using the
latest kernel (2.6.31-rc6) and updated xorg-edgers drivers, I kiss
acceleration goodbye above 2048.  I'm trying really hard to make Mint my
default environment at work, but I have to keep going back to XP because
my second monitor, sitting blankly, is silently mocking me.

Thanks,
Khalil

--
No dri (and therefore no compiz) for virtual screen greater than 2048x2048
which is subscribed to mesa in ubuntu.