Benedikt, that is good to hear the issue is resolved with xorg-edgers,
however we may not be shipping that version in Karmic.  Are you
satisfied that this bug is fixed by updating to xorg-edgers, or would
you also like to see it fixed in Karmic?  If so, there are some
additional steps I will need you to do in order to find what patch
actually fixed the issue.  (I have reviewed the changelog for -intel and
did not spot an obvious entry that sounds like it fixed this issue.)

To start with, can you indicate what versions of packages from xorg-
edgers that you installed?  If you installed other packages besides
xserver-xorg-video-intel, please revert each back to the stock Karmic
version and isolate which package update(s) brought the fix for you.

If we don't hear from you, I'll assume the issue to be fixed if we do
update the driver before Karmic is released.

** Changed in: xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu)

--
[i855] Resolution change breaks graphics in Intel 855GM
which is the registrant for xf86-video-intel.