devtry1, don't worry, you're not the only one with this problem.  Given
your extended description of the issue in comment #39, I would say Chris
was right merging these two bug reports.  I have sporadically seen what
appears to be the same problem, only with KDE.  The GPU will hung, the
timer will time out and usually manage to reset the chip.  In the
process, however, the compositing window manager dies, so you no longer
have control over window positions, desktop shortcuts, etc.  For me the
solution is generally to reboot, because even if I can successfully
restart the X server, the GPU is in an ill-defined state so 3D
acceleration doesn't work properly.  I have not been able to find a
reliable way of reproducing it; sometimes it "just happens", luckily,
not very frequently.

  [gm45] GPU lockup  render.IPEHR: 0x01800002 after logging out/in