This issue can be completely isolated to Intel Atom integrated GPUs. All
other graphic drivers are unaffected.

I don't have an Atom GPU so I can't reproduce this issue. And, it's most
certainly a driver bug.

With regards to Unity, where should we go for this? Should we blacklist
the animation (not the whole of Unity 3D) for that driver, should we try
working around it in some way (Jay might know more about this), or
should we (gulp) remove the animation for 12.04?

** Also affects: xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu)

  Regression: Installing apps causes a terrible visual glitch on
  netbooks-- have to restart X.org.