Public bug reported:

My machine has intel onboard graphics, and a 1600x900 Samsung monitor.
It started rebooting whenever I was logged into a graphical session. In
recovery mode it works fine. It also works fine if I add 'nomodeset'
option to kernel commandline, but that gives me vesa graphics with low
resolution (1024x768). My os is Ubuntu 11.10. I tried a couple of other
OS'es, including Ubuntu 10.10, Ubuntu 8.10, Debian 6 and Debian 5, out
of which only Debian 5 works perfectly well with 160x900 resolution.

I am suspecting the intel video driver to be the culprit, but can't nail
down the issue. I have attached the last Xorg.0.log with this report. I
am also giving the output of ddcprobe here:

vbe: VESA 3.0 detected.
oem: Intel(r)Eaglelake Graphics Chip Accelerated VGA BIOS
vendor: Intel Corporation
product: Intel(r)Eaglelake Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0
memory: 131008kb
mode: 1280x1024x256
mode: 1280x1024x64k
mode: 1280x1024x16m
mode: 1024x768x256
mode: 1024x768x64k
mode: 1024x768x16m
mode: 640x480x16m
mode: 800x600x64k
mode: 800x600x16m
mode: 640x480x256
mode: 800x600x256
mode: 640x480x64k
edid:
edid: 1 3
id: 058c
eisa: SAM058c
serial: 434d3230
manufacture: 48 2009
input: separate sync, composite sync, sync on green, analog signal.
screensize: 44 25
gamma: 2.200000
dpms: RGB, active off, no suspend, no standby
timing: 720x400@70 Hz (VGA 640x400, IBM)
timing: 720x400@88 Hz (XGA2)
timing: 640x480@60 Hz (VGA)
timing: 640x480@67 Hz (Mac II, Apple)
timing: 640x480@72 Hz (VESA)
timing: 640x480@75 Hz (VESA)
timing: 800x600@60 Hz (VESA)
timing: 800x600@75 Hz (VESA)
timing: 832x624@75 Hz (Mac II)
timing: 1024x768@87 Hz Interlaced (8514A)
timing: 1024x768@70 Hz (VESA)
timing: 1024x768@75 Hz (VESA)
timing: 1280x1024@75 (VESA)
ctiming: 1152x864@75
ctiming: 1280x1280@60
ctiming: 1440x1440@60
ctiming: 1280x1280@75
ctiming: 1440x1440@75
dtiming: 1600x900@60
monitorrange: 30-81, 56-75
monitorname: SyncMaster
monitorserial: HPGSB14621

** Affects: xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu)

** Tags: 1600x900 915 crash intel

  machine reboots on using 1600x900 resolution