I've tried debuggin this, but haven't been very successful -- using 3.0
kernel as a workaround doesn't work anymore. Purging nvidia-drivers
(with apt-get purge) resulted largely unusable system: booting with
nouveau (with 3.2 kernel) splash screen was corrupted, however I got the
drumroll sound but with black screen. 3.2 recovery mode gave me kernel
error "EDD Information not available" and the booting was halted.

I tried to downgrade to .33 driver but couldn't find way to do it. I
tried manually installing (dpkg -i) nvidia-current-
dev_280.13-0ubuntu6.1_amd64.deb which was the latest package before
295.40, but the package had dependency issues and wouldn't install.

When installing/uninstalling drivers, jockey would also sometimes
complain about failed install so I mainly used apt-get for the job (is
there something else jockey does besides listing the options and
installing/uninstalling them?)

However, I can confirm that my monitor is the source of problems. I was
forced to use another monitor at some point, which worked fine.

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  Xorg freeze - black screen after splash screen