Hi all, I should have asked this earlier. Could anyone affected please
test disabling rc6 power management?

To do that, hold shift to display GRUB, but instead of pressing enter to
load your OS, press 'e' to edit the boot parameters. Append
i915.i915_enable_rc6=0 as a kernel boot parameter.

For example: linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-17-generic quiet splash
vt.handoff=7 i915.i915_enable_rc6=0

See if this solves the problem. I'm testing myself and will report back

** Changed in: xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu)

  Intel GPU lockup on laptop suspend - display stuck on whatever was
  shown last before suspend.