The original USB drive I used to install 12.04 was created on Lucid, and
did not work well on my system.  However, it did work on another laptop
I have. (the initial load screen did not work and I still only saw the
grey rectangle in the lower left corner, but the Ubuntu screen and
afterwards worked fine.)

After installing on the second laptop I created a new USB drive from
that system. (This was creating a boot USB drive using 12.04.) Then
using that new USB drive I had a different experience.

Upon booting the Dell 1720 with the new USB drive the initial boot
screen came up and I continued to boot up as a LiveCD.  The Ubuntu
screen came up fine, and then the prompt came up asking if I wanted to
Install or Try. I chose Try, and then the screen went into black and
white stripes with a garbled mess. So the Try option did not work.

Second try I selected "Install from the boot screen and the install
process went fine. I now have a fully functional running 12.04 OS on the
Dell 1720, even though the LiveCD option would only display garbled
graphics.

  12.04 usb drive boot graphic problems