Seems I have the same situation.  I had been upgrading Ubuntu
successfully for years.  Was currently at 11.10 when I upgraded today to
12.04.  The flickering occurs when I try to log into Unity or KDE.
More specifically, I'm using two monitors.  One of the monitors goes
crazy (moving the mouse causes one of the monitors to scroll like a
horizontal refresh issue).  The other monitor is ok until I logout.
When I logout or try to restart gdm, both monitors start flicking and
the only thing that fixes is a reboot.

My work-around so far has been to unplug one of my monitors, but this is
not ideal at all.   I don't have an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and am not
sure what defaults it takes (if I want to make edits to it).

lspci
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82Q963/Q965 Integrated
Graphics Controller (rev 02)

  Screen flickers heavily after upgrading to 12.04 beta 1