1.)
I also only see half of the Display during the installation of the Precise
32-bit Desktop release.

(yes it was painful to operate the mouse/keyboard missing half of the GUI, and
what I was seeing
was not actually there unless I used the mouse to repaint under its hover area,
and then by finding
the dialog window's top border and moving the window around to repaint itself.)

After the installation and reboot, the same 1/2 GUI problem exists.

>From the tty1 console screen, as mentioned above, I ran the `sudo stop
lightdm` and sudo start lightdm` to rectify the situation.

2.)
I then ran UpdateManager and got the latest 53 updates since GA,
rebooted machine,
 and the problem persists.

3.)
`lspci` lists:
VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation System Controller Hub (SCH
Poulsbo) (rev 07)

4.)
I'm on a Dell Inspiron Mini 10 netbook.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-psb in Ubuntu.

  Login Manager only shown in upper half of screen, unless restart
  lightdm