this exact same issue occurs on kubuntu 12.04 on samsung notebook
(RV520). although a 64 bit machine here I've installed kubuntu 32 bit.
but because it worked in kubuntu 11.10 my suspicion is that its the
kernel causing the freeze. and once the freeze occurs we reach for a new
power up. even the clock stops updating (one reason to always display
seconds). yeah we can get to it via win7 but we try to stay away from
that thing as much as possible.

  X freezes completely running google earth on xserver-xorg-video-intel
  -   IPEHR: 0x7a000002