Public bug reported:

I upgraded from 11.10 Ubuntu and  11.10 Xbuntu  and got working in low graphics
mode.
It was working Ok till the upgrade in Ubuntu and Xbuntu  went into drivers for
nvidia on Ubuntu and used the recommened driver, now screen all black,

does not show desktop.
the computer I am using is a 18 month old Gigabyte  motherboard GA-M61PME-S2P
Nvidia  GeFORCE 6100/nfORCE430/REV1.0.
I have tried ubuntu since version  7  it could be a great replacement for
microsoft for the average person - if it did not have too many problems - if it
woked as good as microsoft and it has its problems  you would have a winner .
Cheers Mike
UPDATE..  AFTER  6 FRESH INSTALS   no desktop and screen keeps going from red
to black .
and message COMPIZ CLOSED .
I downloaded  LUBUNTU 12.04 NO PROBLEMS  it is working beautifully  I am not
game enough to update  it may break again , WHY when everything was working
well till upgrade to ubuntu 12.04 .I think maybe someone left out a driver
from the previous version
Cheers Mike

** Affects: xserver-xorg-video-nv (Ubuntu)

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-nv in Ubuntu.

  working in low graphics mode  compiz closed