I was waiting for an update before reporting that I was affected. I have
installed 295.49 and it has not fixed my problem. The same issue exists
with 259.33 and 259.40. This is new behavior in 12.04.

I have a G96 [GeForce 9500 GT] (from lshw)

When I first boot up, video is fast. After a period of time, certain
applications become very slow, taking seconds to do what had previously
been instantaneous. A graph using the rgl package in R, for example,
comes up as a grey box for several seconds, and resizing the box takes
seconds. When I first boot, all of this is instantaneous.

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  [regression] Nvidia 295.40 driver is extremely slow