I've since switched back to Arch Linux, but I ran into the same problem.
It is a problem with the nvidia drivers. What you can do is install
nouveau drivers and see if that helps. This may lead you on the right
path http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/UbuntuPackages

It is unfortunate that this driver made it into 12.04 with such a
serious problem. You might want to try downgrading to the 11.10 driver
and see if that does any good. But I imagine that it might be dependency
hell.

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  Periodic lockups or crashes