I have tried installing 2.19.0 from
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates but I still get
these same hangs, so I believe the root of the cause lies somewhere in
the kernel. Or it just was not solved in this version. I noticed that
these bugs usually occur after the machine is resumed from S3 and is up
and running for quite some time. If it's freshly booted, it seems to be
running fine as far as this particular bug is concerned.

I'm attaching another Xorg log going along with another instance of:

kernel: [42186.657190] [drm:i915_hangcheck_elapsed] *ERROR* Hangcheck timer
elapsed... GPU hung
kernel: [42186.657262] [drm] capturing error event; look for more information
in /debug/dri/0/i915_error_state

** Attachment added: "Xorg.0.log.old"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/993333/+attachment/3137725/+files/Xorg.0.log.old

  [Sandybridge] Xorg freeze