Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x / AR542x
Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)

Network adaptor seems to play a role with this bug. Without the network
controller activated my system seems stable, but as soon as a switch on
my network my system reacts differently: when starting Firefox my mouse
pointer freezes a couple of seconds, but it doesn't when my network
controller is switched off. Screen flashes sometimes (with network off
screen is normal) etc. Seems that the Atheros driver somehow interferes
with Xorg and/or Compiz.

Do others also have atheros network adaptors? Can you also try to
disable your Atheros card? I have somewhere a USB network adaptor, but
can't find it. As soon as I find it, I will try if my system is stable
with this network adaptor.

Hope this will help find a solution.

  ubuntu 12.04 64bit completely freezes frequently