Christopher,

I provided debugging info,  but don't think there is any issue with the
Touchpad, so have not yet provided info on your second request
(debugging touchpad detection).  I have since come across other bug
reports on this same problem that indicate the problem is with an
unstable version of Abiword being used in 12.04.  The problem is
specific to Abiword, and moreso, specific to the version of Abiword that
is in the 12.04 repositories.  Scrolling (whether by touchpad or mouse
wheel) does not work at all in this version of Abiword.  Thank you for
getting back to me.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-synaptics in Ubuntu.

  laptop touchpad vertical scrolling doesn't work in abiword