Hi
indeed, I have two screens on this comp, the built-in lcd at 1600x1200, and an
external monitor at 1920x1200, sitting side by side, for a total desktop size
of 3520x1200.

I have "virtual" set to "3520 1600".

But, i notice in those lines you pasted out of my xorg, it appears to
reserve a much larger screen space? 3520x4766, and 3520x3164... is that
normal?

hrm, well, i guess your explanation about DRI and XAA/EXA explains a
lot. :)

--
[Needs AGPMode quirk] Freeze with ati driver during boot on 8.10
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-ati in ubuntu.