There is a file "_sbin_Xorg.0.crash" in /var/crash.

When the system does successfully boot,
running ubuntu-bug from the command line gives me the opportunity to create
this bug.

Sometime our systems with this hardware and software combo boot OK.

Sometimes we get a black screen.

Sometimes we get a black screen with a mouse cursor.

Sometimes we get a text login prompt.
After a text login, sometimes "startx" will work, sometimes not.

Sometimes we get GRUB menu (I think this is from GRUB failure
recovery?).

Sometimes we get
"mountall: Disconnected from Plymouth"
Pressing enter at this point allows the system to boot.

We are reviewing all the system logs trying to determine the cause
(or at least a work-around).

See also #1007186 (Plymouth crash)

  Xorg crash