The problem: inability to change screen refresh rateat all.  My only choice is
1024 x 768 at zero Hz.  When I click on System > Preferences > Screen
Resolution,  I am given a dialog box, which, under Hardy ubuntu on this
machine, offered me the choice of changing my screen resolution and my screen
refresh rate.  The problem is that I am stuck at the current screen refresh
rate, and I am experiencing flicker, which is giving me a terrible headache.
On Hardy I was able to simply choose a different refresh rate.  But that does
not work with Intrepid.
VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS690 [Radeon X1200 Series]

My screen resolution is 1024 x 768, but when I go to

System > Preferences > Screen Resolution

I see that the refresh rate is zero!  No joke!  There is also no
opportunity to choose a different refresh rate with that Screen
Resolution tool, and I have been told that Intrepid does not use the
file

/etc/X11/xorg.conf

and so modifying that file will not work.

I have installed these drivers:

xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd
xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd-dbg

As suggested by this page:

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Intrepid_Installation_Guide

But apparently I need to somehow "turn on" those drivers, and I am not
sure how to do it.  Any tips welcome.  Thanks!

ProblemType: Bug
Architecture: i386
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 8.10
Package: firefox-3.0 3.0.7+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.8.10.1
ProcEnviron:

PATH=/home/username/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games
 LANG=en_US.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
SourcePackage: firefox-3.0
Uname: Linux 2.6.27-11-generic i686

** Affects: xorg (Ubuntu)

** Tags: apport-bug
--
limited choices for screen refresh rate under Intrepid with ATI controller card
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/344575