I'm no longer able to reproduce this, not sure what happened, my system
seems to be the same (it was reinstalled several times though, with
Oneiric and Quantal). Anyway, I installed 12.04 again, with kernel
3.2.0-23.36 and fglrx 8.960-0ubuntu1, and the system correctly restores
the display when I close and then open the lid. I see the corruption
pattern I mentioned *briefly* when the screen powers up after suspend,
but then the desktop correctly restores and I'm able to continue doing
stuff.

To try and reproduce the bug I tried to plug in an external screen and
do resolution changes, which are about the only display-related
operations I may have done prior to the original report, but no go. I
still can't reproduce it.

I'll mark as Invalid based on this.

Thanks and sorry for the time spent on this bug.

** Changed in: fglrx-installer (Ubuntu Precise)

which is subscribed to fglrx-installer in Ubuntu.

  [Dell Precision M6500 with ATI chipset] Suspending by closing the lid
  corrupts display