If I understand correctly, glxspheres appears to be part of the
bumblebee package (which we don't officially support here).  Are you
able to reproduce this bug using some other 3D app that we do support?

If not, another thing to check would be if the new mesa 8.0.3 fixes it,
although I suspect it doesn't.  I've set up a PPA for testing it here:
https://launchpad.net/~bryce/+archive/mesa-803

** Changed in: mesa (Ubuntu)

which is subscribed to mesa in Ubuntu.

  [regression] glxspheres runs very slowly in Precise (only 2-3 FPS)