Hi mkis62, thanks for reporting this mesa crash while using vlc.  I've
reviewed the stacktrace but it's not obvious from that alone what has
gone wrong.  Can you provide some additional information about the
crash?

What steps led to the crash?  E.g. just starting up vlc or more?

Are you able to reproduce the crash relatively reliably?

Would it be possible for you to attach (or provide a link to) the
video.mp4 you were using?

While I don't see any evidence that mesa 8.0.3 fixes this specific bug,
that release does fix a *lot* of bugs and it's possible I am simply not
spotting it.  I've posted a package of this version to a PPA for you to
test.  Please install and reboot, and verify that the bug does not
occur.

  https://launchpad.net/~bryce/+archive/mesa-803

** Changed in: mesa (Ubuntu)

which is subscribed to mesa in Ubuntu.

  vlc crashed with SIGSEGV in brw_update_renderbuffer_surface()