I am also experiencing this but I never use suspend. I have had this
problem with both lock on and off in Brightness settings. I am also on
intel.

I hope this helps others. I have found a way to restore my session to
save any open programs or just to close session cleanly. Once the
problem happens I go to a tty(Crtl+Alt+F1), log in and kill compiz and
compiz-decorator. Then I run metacity, return to X(Crtl+Alt+F7) and
start closing programs. I then opened a terminal (Crlt+Alt+T) and launch
gnome-panel which gives me a menu to log out.

I do not know if metacity and gnome-panel ship stock or you have to
install them. I never installed gnome 3 but it appears as a session
option on my login screen.

  Resume from suspend leaves me with black screen or a screen of the
  desktop before it suspended (though the mouse still moves/changes
  cursor)