This just happened last night to my Lucid 64 ATI, dual monitor system
for the 1st time. And it happened again a few minutes ago.

Given that this system has been running Lucid with these two monitors
for nearly a couple years without this problem, I vote for a very, very
recent update.

Looking at Synaptic | File | History says the only suspicious looking
update (on the 13th) is a new linux image, 2.6.32-41. The rest of the
updates look like programs that would not be involved in low level
stuff.

Since this problem pretty much freezes the system, does anyone know of a
better way to recover than the big red button? (By way of ssh, that is.)

  mouse stuck jumping between screens