I am also affected by this exact same issue

04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation NV44 [GeForce 7100
GS] (rev a1)

This card is used to drive two LCD screens for standard gnome shell
configuration in 12.04

when i try using the normal nvidia-current package or the one from the
ppa (with version 302.17) my desktop freezes.  Last few times this has
locked the whole machine meaning i needed to pull the plug to get the
system back up.  I have purged the nvidia-current package and now have
LCD mirroring on my screens (not very useful for me).  This did not
happen before i upgraded to 12.04.

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  Performance problems with Nvidia driver