I found this report while I was searching for a solution for a quite
similar problem. I think it’s the same.

For playing games I start an xserver from tty1 with (simplified) “xinit
/usr/bin/xterm "$@" -- :1”. If I try to close the session by just typing
“exit” in the xterm window of the second xserver the screen blanks
immediately and even the LCD-backlight turns off. The only way out is
Magic SysReq (R-E-I-S-U-B). The screen comes back to life after killing
processes (I-Key) showing the white cursor.

I attached the related lines of syslog. The lines with “XINIT-TEST” are
generated by myself with the logger command.

** Attachment added: "syslog.txt"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/1004983/+attachment/3194950/+files/syslog.txt

  X.org segfaults when exiting window manager